Multiple Servers

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Hiya,

I was wondering if there is any support for multiple servers ? Our users are load-balanced over several servers so specifying a specific server string wouldn't be feasible in full deployment.

Works great on our test site where all our admin staff are sandboxed onto the same server.

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hi,
There is no direct support for merging multple locations into a single web part.
You can place the web part on the page multiple times and also control the display of the web part based on audiences if this is feasible. (Requires sharepoint standard or higher)
For example you could do a rudimentry split of users for one server based on their department / school year from their user profile or security group and place the web part on the page twice (or however many load balanced servers you have)
This would each a similar affect and if you need to fail over, edit the page and the audience settings to resume service.
Not a perfect scenario agree but hopefully gives you some options
Kind regards
Giles
Dec 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Many thanks for the reply.

Think will be able to work something out with that, and learning about using targeting at the same time.

I've noticed that depending on browser the part doesn't always show up (Chrome for example here defaults to not showing the parts of the page not secured) Is there a way to make this webpart also secured as the whole site is running on https - I am probably missing something obvious